Symptoms of rejection of a dental implant.

symptoms of rejection dental implant

Symptoms of rejection of a dental implant.

Symptoms of rejection of a dental implant. Dental implants are the most effective treatment for those patients with missing teeth. Not only will it provide us with functional but also aesthetic benefits, as they will help to obtain a correct bite.

The intervention is precise and painless under local anesthesia and gives very positive results. However, there are some specific cases in which we can find some problems when placing the prosthesis on the implant, such as ‘rejection’.

The process of placing a dental implant is a minor surgery under local anesthesia. The implants are usually made of a material called titanium or sometimes zirconium. The implant is placed in the bone during surgery and after three months a crown or sleeve is placed over it. It should be noted that the success of dental implants is around 97%, which is high. But it does mean that there is a chance that it will fail or be rejected 3% of the time.

What does it mean and what are the symptoms of rejection of a dental implant?

The reality is that the word “rejection” is not the most accurate to designate the failure of a dental implant. Therefore, what happens is not an immune reaction against titanium as it happens with organ transplants. Titanium is a biocompatible material that rarely causes allergies.

When an implant is placed in the jaw or maxilla bone, it has retention thanks to a primary (mechanical) stability as a consequence of the implant torque thanks to its thread. During the 3-month process, that primary stability is gradually lost and a secondary stability is acquired. This secondary stability is called osseointegration. Osseointegration is defined as the direct, structural and functional contact between bone and the surface of a dental implant.

The rejection of an implant, or rather failure, is due to its non-osseointegration with the bone, called fibrointegration.


Symptoms of rejection of a dental implant?

One of the clearest rejection symptoms is the mobility of the implant.

Another symptom is having slight discomfort or pain when pressing the implant area or when palpating it. The patient may also present pain or discomfort on the day of the impressions on the dental implant.

How can we avoid implant failure?

We must understand that the rejection or failure of a dental implant is not an infection or a consequence of it. It is also important to know that the success rate of dental implants is higher than 97%.

To avoid complications it is important to follow the advice of the implantologist / periodontist. Following post-operative instructions is key to success.

Furthermore, it has been shown that patients with periodontal disease, diabetes and smoking have a higher failure rate than healthy patients. Likewise, it should be noted that patients who have suffered dental implant rejection or failure have a higher probability that it will recur. Despite this, the chances of success remain high, between 80-90%.

Other complications with implants (rejection symptoms)

Dental implants are not without problems and we must take care of them even more than our own teeth.

Dental implants can often present with bone loss called peri-implantitis. Peri-implantitis is a disease similar to periodontitis (pyorrhea) that can lead to the loss of the dental implant. Implants can also present mucosal recessions or retractions. They can also present some mechanical problems such as fracture of the prosthesis or screw loosening.


At BLASI Clínica Dental Barcelona we use the best materials on the market and the latest technology in order to obtain the best results in dental implants in Barcelona.

Ramon Perez mié, 10 abr, 15:45 (hace 6 días) para mí