08 Feb Placing dental implants: post-op care
What care should be performed after placing dental implants?
Placing dental implants, it is important to offer patients the care they must follow to reduce the risk of complications, which could be outlined as follows:
- Maintain proper hygiene once the intervention is over, as it will help reduce infection problems in the area operated on. Use bactericidal mouthwashes and ointments, as is usually recommended after dental implant surgery.
- Follow the implantologist’s pharmaceutical instructions to minimize pain and inflammation.
- Do not spit or rinse during the first 24 hours to keep the clot in the operated area, which will help its healing and stability.
- Do not smoke, at least during the first days after the intervention, since the effect of tobacco can negatively affect healing and cause complications.
- Maintain a soft and cold diet after the placement of dental implants for about 48 to 72 hours. It is convenient to try not to chew on the intervened area to avoid possible injuries.
- Apply cold packs or gels in the surgical area for as long as possible because it will reduce inflammation and pain.
- Go to the check-ups established by the doctor in order to maintain control and prevent complications.
What care helps to extend the life of the implants?
- Proper dental hygiene will help extend the life of our implants. The use of a brush, dental floss and interproximal brushes is highly recommended.
- Brushing the oral cavity 3 times a day increases the average life of teeth and implants.
- In many cases it is necessary to use dental irrigators.
Placing dental implants in Barcelona
At BLASI Clínica Dental Barcelona we are experts in dental implants in Barcelona. Our implantologists are trained at the best European and American universities and have extensive experience in Barcelona implantology. We have the latest technology in the dental market to achieve the best outcome possible.