21 Nov Pericoronitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
Pericoronitis: A Deep Understanding of Its Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
Pericoronitis is a dental condition that primarily affects the gums around the lower molars, especially when these teeth are unable to erupt properly. This situation generally occurs due to a lack of space in the mouth, causing the teeth to emerge irregularly or remain partially covered by gingival tissue.
Underlying Causes of pericoronitis
The main factor contributing to pericoronitis is the partial entrapment of a tooth by the gum tissue, creating an ideal niche for the accumulation of bacteria and promoting infections. This situation is more common in molars, which often face obstacles to erupt completely.
Symptoms to Watch
Pericoronitis presents a variety of symptoms, including:
– Jaw pain that can extend to other areas such as the ear.
– Inflammation and redness in the gingival tissue.
– Pus formation in the affected gum.
– Halitosis caused by the infection.
– Difficulties in speaking, chewing, swallowing, and moving the jaw.
– In severe cases, fever and general malaise may appear, and sometimes, the formation of an abscess.
Preventive Measures for Pericoronitis
Preventing pericoronitis involves rigorous dental hygiene and special attention to developing wisdom teeth. By eliminating food debris and bacterial plaque, the risk of this and other dental diseases is significantly reduced.
Treatment Strategies for Pericoronitis
In the presence of pericoronitis symptoms, consulting a dentist is essential. Typical treatments include:
– Professional dental cleaning and surgical drainage in certain cases.
– Rigorous oral hygiene, including detailed brushing and the use of antibacterial mouthwashes.
– In acute cases, medications such as antibiotics, analgesics, or anti-inflammatories may be prescribed.
– Evaluation for possible surgery to remove the gingival tissue over the tooth or, if necessary, tooth extraction.
The Importance of Dental Checkups
Regular dental checkups are crucial for preventing complications and timely detection of conditions like the one we have discussed here. At BLASI Clínica Dental Barcelona, we are committed to providing comprehensive evaluations and personalized treatments to ensure the dental health of our patients.
Emergency Care at BLASI Clínica Dental Barcelona
At BLASI Clínica Dental Barcelona, we understand that some dental conditions require immediate attention. Therefore, we offer emergency services for cases such as acute pericoronitis. Our team of specialists is prepared to provide rapid and effective care, ensuring that patients receive the necessary treatment to relieve pain and prevent additional complications.
Pericoronitis, although common, requires specialized attention. With a focus on dental hygiene and regular checkups, along with the availability of emergency services at our clinic, this condition can be managed to maintain optimal oral health.