26 Oct Halitosis or bad breath and mask use
Halitosis or bad breath and mask use
In this pandemic era, mask use is mandatory at least in indoor areas. With the use of masks, many patients have become aware of a problem of bad breath or halitosis and believe that masks may be the cause of this condition. That is why the General Council of Dentists has been firm in stating that there is no scientific evidence to prove any relationship between the use of masks and bad breath or halitosis.
If we detect this problem, bad breath was probably already present and we would not have noticed it before using the mask.
Origin of bad breath or halitosis
There are different factors that can cause bad breath or halitosis. Here is a list of possible causes of bad breath:
– Food: Certain foods such as garlic, onions and spices can cause bad breath. Not only at the moment of ingestion but also when digested.
– Tobacco: the smell of tobacco itself can cause bad breath.
– Dry Mouth (Xerostomia): decreased saliva production can cause halitosis. Saliva helps to moisturize and remove particles that cause bad breath.
– Periodontitis: gum disease caused by bacterial plaque can also be a factor in causing halitosis.
– Tooth decay or poorly fitting dental restorations.
– Inadequate oral hygiene: this is related to the cause mentioned above (periodontitis). The bacteria that cause periodontitis can cause bad breath as well.
– Medication: certain foods contribute to dry mouth and therefore to halitosis.
– Other causes: certain stomach disorders such as gastric reflux, some cancers or metabolic disorders can cause this condition.
Treatment of bad breath
In order to perform the appropriate treatment we must first identify the cause of the problem. In our office, BLASI Dental Clinic Barcelona, our dentist will detect the focus of the problem, and if the cause is dental or gum we will propose the following treatments.
– Sometimes the tongue can serve as a reservoir of bacteria and it is advisable to brush or scrape it.
– Change of brushing habits and improvement of oral hygiene using dental floss and mouthwashes.
– Treatment of caries or defective fillings.
– Treatment of periodontal disease by scaling and root planing.
– Conventional dental prophylaxisxis for mild cases.
– Tongue brushing with every tooth brushing.
– Brushing and flossing after every meal.
– Keep hydrated to avoid dry mouth. Coffee and alcohol can cause dry mouth as well.
– Change of eating habits (avoid garlic, onion and sugary foods).
– Visit your dentist in Barcelona frequently
At BLASI Dental Clinic Barcelona we have the best dentists specialized in different fields of dentistry. We will always advise you the best treatment according to your problems. In addition, we have the latest technology such as dental CT or intraoral scanners.